Beat My Sleeve: One Man's Saga to Find the Perfect Headband

created at: 02/09/2012
Despite all of the sweat-wicking, breathable, fast-drying materials that the gear industry showcases, I'm at a bit of a loss lately. I’ve tried a series of headwear options to keep my ears warm in the winter and keep the sweat out of my eyes in the summer, and all of the experimentation has led to one question: 

Why is it that my favorite headband is a cutoff sleeve from a shirt that was so grungy that my wife wouldn't let me wear it anymore? 

Now, to be fair, it's not that simple: I have a few special needs as a runner.
One, my head gets crazy hot in the winter, but my ears tend to freeze up on me. 
Two - I shave my head, so in the summertime, sweat just plain pours into my eyes the second I start moving. It’s like getting assaulted with seawater. I need something that’ll soak up and evaporate the sweat before it can offend my ocular sockets. 

I’ve tried tons of pieces of gear, but no luck so far. Here are a few notable tries: 

I started out with Turtle Fur’s Dryline Frost Ear Beanie with its lightweight and quick-drying Dryline material and extended ear coverage. It was warm in the winter, but too warm for all but the coldest of days and waaay too hot in the summer. I quickly decided to go with a headband. 
created at: 02/09/2012
Mizuno’s Breathe Thermo Headband is warm and leaves the brainpan uncovered, but it’s too hot in the summertime. The Breathe Thermo tech makes the fabric warm up when it gets wet, which is neat in the winter, but pretty much nixes it for summer use. It’s not very elastic, either. After a few uses it was pretty stretched out and prone to slippage.

This may get me in trouble with notable Buff enthusiast Steve Regenold, founding editor of GearJunkie.com, but multifunctional marvel The Buff isn’t quite cutting it either. For every other purpose (full-on beanie, balaclava, blindfold, gag) it’s phenomenal and versatile, but there’s just too much material there. Folding the material over and over on itself to use as a headband makes it too hot during summer runs. Maybe a Buff headband would be good.

created at: 02/09/2012
The Buff is great, but again, too hot in the summer.
The only piece of gear that works for me is a sleeve I cut from one of my favorite t-shirts. It provides enough coverage to keep my ears from freezing off of my head in December, but it’s small and thin enough to keep me from overheating in August. The fact that it’s cotton is definitely not ideal, but it soaks up the sweat just fine, it just takes forever to dry. I use it for running, climbing, hiking, just about any situation in which I might start sweating. Here's a photo of the Sleeve. Note the telltale seam and vintage "Electric" logo.

created at: 02/09/2012
Now, I know there must be something out there that’ll work as well, if not better, than my Sleeve. Consider the gauntlet thrown, Gear Industry. Beat my sleeve.