Spandex...the Final Frontier


Actually, it's a nylon/spandex blend.

Anybody who rides bikes for competition comes to this decision early on. As I made the leap from mountain biking to road biking, I was faced with the dilemma-is it really worth it to rock spandex?

Sadly, there's no way around it. Riding road with my loose biking gear made it seem like I had a drag chute behind me, slowing me the crap down. Every rider that I've spoken to agreed that there was no way around it-if I wanted to go faster, tights were the way to go.

Even after that experience, I had to psychologically prep myself. I had a sprint triathlon coming up, and I had the trisuit purchased and ready to go. It sat on my hamper for weeks, mocking me. I grew up laughing at the skinny guys hunched over their skinny bikes, wearing their neon colored tights, and now it had come full circle. I was about to become one of them, minus the skinny.

I sucked up my pride, pulled on the shorts and shirt, and I wore my racing clothes for the triathlon. They were tight. But they worked, and I didn't have to deal with the drag that my other riding clothes put me through. So, it looks like I'm one of those nerds after all.

Feel free to make fun if you see me on the road.