Gear Review: Brooks Cascadia 6


While training for the Gore-Tex TransRockies Run, I held an ongoing tryout for the shoes that I’d be taking with me to run the 120-miles. I rotated through six pairs of shoes, and the Brooks Cascadia 6 trail runners were the clear winners.
The Cascadias fit extremely well right out of the box. The upper is composed of mesh and synthetic suede. The mesh keeps the shoe breathable and drains water quickly after creek crossings, while the suede provides a snug, secure feel throughout the length of the shoe. The snug fit is complimented by the shoe’s unique adjustability piece, a pair of eyelets that attach to the shoe via an elastic band, allowing the upper to adjust its volume to the wearer’s foot.
Floating eyelets help customize the Cascadia's fit.
The first time I wore them, I ran 14 miles of singletrack in Whiskeytown National Park's mountain trails. Usually, a long run right out of the box is a recipe for disaster, but I didn’t even get a hotspot. The trend held up through a whole summer of training. Despite the hundreds of miles I dished out in the last few months, the Cascadias took great care of my feet. After one 24-mile training run with mutliple creek crossings and lengthy downhill singletrack sections, my partner lost three toenails. I was blister-free and I’ve still got ten toenails.

On longer runs, the DNA midsole provided a great mixture of cushioning and response, softening when I slowed down and firming up when I picked up the pace. The multridirectional lugs on the outsole maintained traction on just about any terrain I could find, and rock plates in the forefoot kept stone bruising away. There’s also a thin yet tough layer of rubber around the toebox that acts as a toecap. I was initially skeptical of its ability to protect stubbed toes, but after countless encounters with half-buried stones and roots, I can vouch for its effectiveness.
The thin rubber toe shield provides additional protection.
The shoes were stable and supportive for the duration of the TransRockies Run. After the race, the medical tent reported that blisters were runners’ number one complaint, but my feet felt strong and stayed blister-free throughout. The rest of me, not so much... 
I fell for the Cascadias right away, and they continue to live up to their first impression. They just might outlive you on the trail. 

13oz (for a size 10.5); $110; Brooksrunning.com.